This week, we do a deep dive into the album that ushered in the global reggaeton explosion of 2004 – Daddy Yankee’s Barrio Fino. Now fifteen years old (!!!), we revisit this timeless classic with Reggaeton historian and music journalist Eduardo Cepeda (of Episode 55: Cholo Jams fame!). We talk about El Cangri’s MC skills, BX ties, political evolutions, and why Gasolina might not be as dirty as you originally thought.
Featuring music by Daddy Yankee.
Things we talked about in the Episode:
- Will you help us celebrate our third birthday?
- Eduardo’s Tu Pum Pum column at Remezcla, and specifically the Barrio Fino, Luny Tunes, and Women in Reggaeton editions.
- On Jenny La Sexy Voz.
- Gary Suarez on Daddy Yankee as one of the G.O.A.T. MCs.
- Ivy Queen’s re-recording of Quiero Bailar
- Billboard on Barrio Fino
- Eduardo’s previous appearance on our show – Episode 55: Cholo Jams.
Lo Que Pasó, Pasó
Santifica Tus Escapularios